Tuesday 18 August 2015

Scottish epic journey for Freeeedommm!

My mind was full of imagination about strong Scots, like William Wallace or poetic souls, like Sir Walter Scot; On contrary, my stomach was about to devour me from the inside when shortbread or butterscotch biscuits became the conversation of ours on the journey to... well, well, well- Scotland! That is how it has all started.

I guess, I might have fallen into a slightly nostalgic or melancholic mood, when I have realized that the journey was prolonging and my eyes were unable to slip through the pages of Harry Potter, as they were doing so since the early hours of the morning.  However, then when we crossed the border, everything has changed...


Frankly saying, I started to laugh as the landscape has changed drastically and surprises such as these cows became common for our week and a half journey from then onward....

I have to admit as well that I am indeed fond of culinary travelling, where I can explore different foods and indulge into regional classics, which would never taste the same if I had tried to make them at home. It does not have to be in places, which are rated 5 stars on Tripadvisor; to be honest, they don't even have to be on any websites, but they have to put a milestone on my experience of an amateur in a kitchen, as well as fill the stomachs of my family.


Yes, this is a pie. Seems to be ordinary, like any pie, as if Philip Larkin wished it to be ordinary, like in the poem 'Born Yesterday' for Sally Amis. However, it was extremely tasty, the filling was piping hot with the tempting chicken divining the flavour with the slightly salty bacon, slipping outside the crust whilst I was cutting it and making sure it mixes well with the HP brown sauce, which I have tried for the first time in my life. Additionally, the irresistible wedges accompanied the main dish with the well-spiced coleslaw and salad, which tasted truly home-made, like my mum's! Are you asking now, where have I found such exceptional meal? Well, it was a little cafe next to a farm in the middle of a mountainous and lake land area. I can't even remember the name. Shame, isn't it? But unrivaled.


You might have probably posed a question: Why is there a pie before... wait for it, wait for it...

                                                    HAGGIS NEEPS AND TATTIES!!??

And my answer is: I have no idea, but there you go... there is your (and mine, obviously...)

                                                    HAGGIS NEEPS AND TATTIES!!!!

I adore comfort food and heart-warming dishes, such as this one. I also have to add that you can try it at a descent price at Wetherspoon (a little advert from me as well as the lovely San Pellegrino lemonade :) Personally, I prefer the orange flavour from the lemon; Sadly, I still have not been given a chance to taste the other two. But well, let's look on the bright side of life and say that this is not the last holiday in my life ;)). However, relating back to my "wonderful" and surely "professional" photography, I can not resist admitting that I truly understand why Haggis is the Scottish national dish! My German teacher rests with my opinion from before the end of the school year that I was afraid to try it after having a good read on Wikipedia. On the other hand, now, I plan to prepare it for lunch next weekend! Haggis consists of surely fatty flavours, but also of a great combination of them, prefect for the rainy weather outside, as it keeps you warm and ready for new challenges. I can imagine that it is what William Wallace had before the battle...

Perhaps my description is not very detailed, as I would never be able to compare it to the masterpiece of Robert Burns in his poem "Address to a Haggis". What I can only say, it is "Warm-reekin, rich"!



And now, changing the story, for you my dear readers, who might prefer more of the literary heritage story, I would like to relate back to what I am more fond of than Haggis or furry cows in the Scottish countryside, it is as you could remember: Harry Potter! Do you recognize this bridge? Do you remember the film? It is the Glenfinnan Viaduct, where the Hogwarts Express hurried to get all the students in school on time before the feast. Ohh, I want that roast! Or the pies! Or even the porridge!

Again changing the story, as I relate back to Scottish dishes once more, for those readers, who rather travel with a geographical manner, as I guess we all should; I also got a chance to visit the famous Scottish Lochs (YES! Inculding Loch Ness, but even with my particularly good sight, I was unable to spot Nessie, sorry... :( ) Therefore, imagine, that you just turn around from that look of the bridge and you see a magnificent landscape with a Loch in the middle of high steep mountains and hills covered with straps of grass; They lead you to wherever you dream of, if you pull the strings of your imagination intensely enough and with true passion of a indefatigable traveler, who wishes to explore the unexplored. I feel like one sometimes, do you feel the same during your journeys? Right your experience in the comments below!

Copyrights of my dad :)

I feel as if this journey to such a wonderful greenery area has fulfilled my expectations, but I can't end this post with such a smooth mood, therefore I need to add that I have spent a long time looking at the lake described because I was trying to take a perfect photo of my Starbucks mug in the landscape... Ooops, but well, I enjoyed that too and in the end I have chosen a different landscape for it:


The only thing is that I get really annoyed when they can't spell my name: it is not that hard to ask if they are unsure!!!

Personally, I would love to study at a really good university in the future, not only because I can get a a great job later, but also because some of them (which I am interested in) have beautiful architecture; The stone buildings and long history accompany the study perfectly, as well as give a hint of enchanting mood every time you need to get from your house to the lecture. Imagine rushing through the cobbled streets with you leather satchel unpinned because of heavy books and quick last-minute notes for the essays folded in the small pockets at the front; As if you were another Hermione Granger rushing for the next lesson with Mr Flitwick. Ahhh, Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and... St Andrew's? Yes, that is another university town that I had a pleasure to visit and my favorite
photograph, simply speaks for itself:


Lastly, I could never forget about afternoon teas, where I never have a proper cuppa, but well at least cake is in it place. In my last post, my dear readers, you were able to see the greatest place in Edinburgh and link to my profile on Tripadvisor. Here I must, not only wish to, present Henry's Coffee House in Dundee, where I unfortunately, did not get a chance to try a true Dundee Cake. Real shame, real shame... But this means, however, I need to come back to do so! :)


As they say, always look at the bright side of life! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment